Contract Data FAQ

Getting Started

For Current Contract Data Users

Getting Started

What kinds of variables are included in the contract data that are not in the public use data?

The contract data includes a series of add-on files for sensitive data that are not included in the public use data. You can apply for just one file or for multiple files. For details on what is included in each file, please see the Restricted Use Contract Data page. Please click on the name of each file you are interested in to see more details and documentation. 

Do most publications from the study use contract data?

No. The public data is suitable for the majority of papers that researchers have published, however we make contract data available for those researchers whose work depends upon some of the more sensitive data.

How do I apply for the contract data?

Applying for contract data is a two-step process including a preliminary application and the full application.

Preliminary application - Before beginning work on the full application, researchers should submit the Preliminary Application Form, along with a draft of their extended abstract and a CV for each person who will be included in the application, to CRCW (c/o in order to get preliminary approval.

Full application – For instructions on what to include in the full application, see here.

I am a student. Can I apply for contract data?

University students may gain access to the Contract Data for dissertation research, but a faculty advisor must serve as the Investigator and complete the application process for them. The faculty advisor and institution bear full responsibility for ensuring that all conditions of the license are met by the student. The student must also sign the “Supplemental Agreement with Research Staff” form when submitting the full application. 

My Co-investigator is from a different institution than I am. Can we still work with the contract data together?

Yes. However if co-investigators are from different institutions, you will need separate contracts for each institution. This means that you and your co-investigator need to submit separate signed Contract Data Agreements (including signatures from institutional officials), as well as the IRB approvals from your and his/her universities. If the data protection plan will be different for each of you, you would also need to submit those separately.  

Is there an application fee?

Yes, there is an application fee of $500.

We are not able to accept credit cards. The fee is payable by check or money order to the Center for Research on Child Wellbeing. We can also send you an invoice/request for the payment if it is needed by your institution to issue a payment for the $500 application fee. Please contact if you need an invoice. 

How can I ensure I submit a strong application?

Two things you should do are: focus on writing a strong data protection plan that addresses the components listed in the Description of Parameters for Data Protection Plan section on pages 12-14 of the Contract Data Agreement; and demonstrate that you understand what data you will receive, and why it is relevant to your work.

What are your guidelines for a strong Data Protection Plan?

You can find our guidelines for what to include in your data protection plan starting on page 12 of the Contract Data Agreement. Please review these guidelines and let us know if you have any further questions.

How long does it take to receive the data after applying?

Following the approval of your preliminary application, you are able to submit the full application. Review of the full application takes approximately 2-3 weeks upon receiving the whole application package, including the application fee. 

For Current Contract Data Users

What do I do if I have a restricted data contract and I switch universities/institutions?

Please write to to inform us of your move – prior to the move if possible. We request that you send us an updated abstract, any changes that will be made to the data protection plan, and notice of approval from the IRB at the new institution. The contract will also need to be signed by an official at the new institution. 

I am adding a new person to my research staff. What do I need to do for them to access the contract data?

To add your new personnel to the contract, please submit an updated "Supplemental Agreement with Research Staff" form, the CV and CITI certificate of your new staff, and confirm that this addition does not result in any changes to your Data Protection Plan. The "Supplemental Agreement with Research Staff" form is available on Page 11 of the Contract Data Agreement. If there will be changes to your Data Protection Plan, please also submit a revised Plan.

What do I do when I am done with my project and/or the time limit runs out?

At the conclusion of your project or two years following the approval of your application (whichever comes first), all your copies of the contract data must be destroyed. If at the end of two years access to the contract data is still desired, you must apply for an extension to the contract.

How do I apply for an extension of the contract?

In order to apply for a one-year extension, please send an updated abstract. Also, please confirm that your data protection plan is still current and there haven't been any changes that would affect the status of your project with the IRB. 

How do I add a new file to a contract?

In order to request that new file be added to your contract, please send us an updated version of your extended abstract. Also, please confirm that your data protection plan is still current and there haven't been any changes that would affect the status of your project with the IRB.